Thursday, September 22, 2011

Scrapbook Update (aka: longest post ever)


I just realized that Mika will be 9 months old TOMORROW. Crazy. That's how long I waited to meet her, and now, that's how long I've been learning all about this precious girl. I need to make another deposit into the scrapbook bank. I'll start with Mika, in honor of her 9th month eve. 

My sweet baby has 4 teeth. Four very sharp, very strong teeth. And if she's got a somewhat wicked looking grin on her face while she's crawling towards you at warp speed, watch out. She bites. I'm really sorry about it. Honest. I feel terrible about this misbehavior and I've tried the loud, shocked, this-is-gonna-scare-her response. I've tried flicking her while sternly saying, "NO!" I've even popped her quasi gently on the mouth. No matter my approach, she finds it hilarious (especially if she's tired). I'm talking belly-laughing hilarious. I am VERY happy to report, though, that she doesn't bite while eating...exactly. She briefly stops gulping down her milk to allow the sinful thought to register, then oh-so-gently brings her teeth together just until I realize what she's doing and grins her "gotcha" smirk, then goes back to eating while I say (on que) "Mika..no MAM". Ahh...sin nature. Sigh.

Mika can now sign "all done" and say her version of the words which sound exactly like Dada. Also, she says "da da".

She's crawling EVERYWHERE! Has almost mastered the pincher grasp (as evidenced by the crumbs she eats from under the kid table). Loves the car seat (PTL). And follows me around like a puppy. Her smile melts me, but the way she's infatuated with my hair and with pulling my hair does not. I'm convinced she looks more like DJ. I adore the way she knocks down pop-up toys. And the sound of her laugh makes me forget hard days. 

Mika loves bath time!! She starts panting and smiling when I turn the water on and practically jumps from my arms. I start the water and then take her into her room while the tub fills to undress her. She grins the whole time, and the second her diaper is removed, we (I) sing "tinkle timer, tinkle timer, we're on the tinkle timer" as we b-line it for the bathroom. 99% of the time we make it. 

She can wave "bye-bye" and "hello" but never on command. Her favorite food is still pear, but she's also a big fan of chicken and winter squash. I'm introducing her to foods a lot faster than I did with Maci and Eli...guess I have the "if we have a problem, yo I'll solve it" motto. Mika now takes 6 ounces in her bottle (no idea what she gets from me. obviously.) and is on a 4 hour schedule: 7, 11, 3, and 7. 

My most favorite Mika moments are when I take her into her room to sleep. She knows her schedule, and apparently, is a big fan. The second we walk over the threshold, she lays her head on my chest and pops her thumb into her mouth. I rub her back and walk over to the sound machine to turn it on. We snuggle for a couple minutes, swaying back and forth, until she (usually, I'm noticing this less and less) sits up and leans towards the crib to let me know she's ready. I kiss her head and whisper, "nite, nite, sweet girl" then lay her down and leave, closing the door behind me. She's a great sleeper (not as good as Maci, but compared to some stories I've heard, definitely amazing).   

Little girl, you are a GREAT blessing to me and I can't believe you're 9 months old. I want to bottle you up and keep you small but you insist on growing and changing and playing with the big kids. I absolutely adore you and think about how very blessed and thankful I am every time we're snuggled together nursing. Daddy and I must say to each other how amazing you are at least 10 times every day.

Must-wear-winter-pj's-in-September Night

THE BIGS. These guys are two peas in a pod. Still.
The rainbow God made for Daddy's birthday

There were 2 dolphins in my bath tub recently.
Eli has now been home for TWO years!! Can't believe it and can at the same time. He's grown and changed so much it's hard to remember the Temesgen that got on an airplane with me over 24 months ago. I have seen God speak so clearly to me through Eli and I've learned so much about what love is and what miracles are. My heart is so full of thankfulness and love for this little boy. It's crazy. It is amazing. Eli beams joy and light into my world every day and I get to be the one to clap and cheer for him when he stands on the fireplace and announces "Mr. Hoppy Eli" for the thousandth time before he jumps into the air, grinning ear to ear. His favorite movie is still Lightening McQueen (Cars), but Little Foot (Land Before Time IV) is a close second. He loves school and wearing shoes with socks, always wants to be the line leader, and (almost) never forgets to wash his hands after getting up from the table. Eli's prayer request every morning on the way to school is for: God and Jesus and rainbows. He is still the World's Best Big Brother and mommy's helper with anything I need (especially if he's done it before and knows what needed thing looks like and where it is located). I see so much of DJ in him and yet I know those things were there the day we met. God is no amateur. 

Eli, I am so thankful for you. Your belly laugh always makes me giggle, even if I'm not in the same room, and your desire to always sit next to me and hold hands makes me feel like the most special person in the world. Daddy and I fight over who gets to have solo Eli time because you're the easy, sweet one. You make us so proud. You, Eli, are such a gift to me and I pray you will grow up with confidence, knowing God's got big plans for you. Good plans. 
Princess Macilina
Maci is almost 3. In exactly 10 weeks, my first born child (who is not my oldest - duh) will turn the big 0-3. I think I should be surprised but I'm not. I think about the birthday to come and can't believe she will only be three...seems like she should at least be 8. She's sassy and busy and hilarious and sweet and silly and so incredibly smart. I need a nanny just for her but can always slow her roll by offering to read her a book or tell her a story. Her legs are always scratched and bruised because nothing scares her, nothing is impossible (including jumping off the fireplace onto a beach ball). She thinks God talks to us in Spanish. Doesn't want to brush her teeth TWICE a day, but hates the idea of sugar bugs crawling around in there. Maci prays for dogs and cats, mommy, daddy, Eli, and Mika, rainbows and butterflies, her teachers, and for help waiting her turn on the way to school. She can't leave a hair bow alone to save her life and would prefer to sport tennis shoes with frilly lacy dresses. She loves all things ballet and pretty but don't try to convince her football and soccer don't fit perfectly into that category. Maci is brave concerning creepy crawly things but doesn't know how hard is too hard to hold a lizard. She lights up at the idea of being outside but would sit and watch movies all day if allowed. She snuggles like an Snuggling Award Winner. Thinks she can do anything. And knows everything. And prays the sweetest prayers I've ever heard, just be prepared to sneak bites if you're starving cause they can be lengthy. 

Maci, I can ache to scream at you and kiss you all in the same second. You make my world fun and real and I can't imagine living a life where you're not in it. I absolutely love being your mommy and look forward to days, years from now, when we can be friends. I think we will be good at it. Until then, I would like to borrow some of your energy. Also, I wish I could sit and talk to Jesus about you like I talk to daddy about you - I know you crack Him up, too. 

 Gotcha Day 2011
Mellow Mushroom for Pizza has become the annual tradition.

yes, this was the best picture of Mika I got on Gotcha Day :(





No comments: