This post is mostly for me (because there is not one page of a baby book completed for any of my kids), I'm afraid I will forget the details of Mika's arrival if I don't write them down and it has occurred to me that she's already a month old. If I don't do this now, she'll be having a baby of her own, asking about things that I can't remember, and I'll feel like a huge slacker. So...
December 22nd, it was a Wednesday. DJ had gone out with some friends for a beer and I stayed home to take care of the kids. I put Eli and Maci down at 7pm like usual and then sat on the couch to relax and watch HGTV. I heart HGTV. Now, I feel the need to say that I had been very hopeful that Mika would arrive early, but just this very day I'd decided to enjoy Christmas as a family of 4 and meet her after the new year. I did not want her birthday to be so close to Jesus'. I told her to please wait until, at the very least, the week after Christmas (hope this doesn't foreshadow any future personality traits...). I was determined. Hahahaha, laugh it up.
So, as I sat enjoying a riveting episode of House Hunters, I noticed that I was having contractions every 3 minutes. Now, some might think that was a dead give-away, but I'd been having those for weeks, and yes, often 3 minutes apart for an hour or two in the evening. This was not any different than before. They didn't hurt and they were not longer than a minute. I just tried to ignore them and enjoy my evening. DJ got home a little before 11 and we got ready for bed. As I was going through the bedtime preparations, I got nauseous. Really nauseous. So much so that I remember asking DJ to bring the trash can from the bathroom over to my side of the bed because things were getting serious. Again, did not think I was in labor. It was very common for me to feel nauseous, but usually after eating - my stomach was super squished. It didn't ever get this bad, though, and DJ even said to me before he turned out the lights, "You know, some women get nauseous when they're in labor." I was in no happy mood at this point and told him grumpily, "they get nauseous because they are in pain, I'm not in pain, this is just more super fun pregnancy stuff."
Lights out at 11 and my water broke at 11:30. I was asleep so I'm a little fuzzy on this exact detail, but I think I was having a contraction and, in my sleep, turning over to find a more comfortable position. All I remember is waking up to a flood pouring out of me (nice, huh?) and thinking, "NOOOO!!" That noooo represented several things, but the top two were, "I SAID I'm not having a baby yet" and "This is soo gross, I'm going to have to buy a new mattress immediately!" I tried to be as still as I possibly could and said, "DJ, my water just broke, can you get me a towel?!?" He went from his sleepy, beer-slumber to a full sprint to the bathroom and magically reappeared by my side, towel in hand, in less than 2 seconds. It was amazing.
After I got a towel wrapped around me, I waddled into the bathroom while DJ started packing our bags. I was only 38 weeks and Mika was the only one of us packed. Oops.
I called my mom and then the doctor. I spoke with Dr. Moore (my fav of the group) and she told me to come to the hospital. I didn't want to leave until the last second because I loved my birthing center labor and wanted to try to mimic that at home. She told me to be there within 6 hours at the latest, and I agreed. I really thought that things would go fast because in the 5 minutes my water had been broken, I could tell a big difference in my contractions. They were much stronger, but still only lasting about 45-60 seconds, and still coming every 3 minutes.
The next 6 hours flew by. I was able to mimic most of my birthing center experience...I bounced on the birthing ball, I ate high protein snacks, I walked, I moaned with contractions, I took a warm bath, I tried to sleep (DJ was actually successful), I listed to soothing music, I facebook'ed, and I prayed. At 6:00, DJ's mom arrived to take care of Eli and Maci and we (begrudgingly) left for the hospital. My mom arrived around 2:30 in the morning and spent several delightful hours walking and moaning with me so when we left for the hospital, she decided to sleep for a while and get some Eli and Maci love, and then join us once we were admitted.
I got to the hospital, and long story short, was only 1cm dilated. UGH!! They confirmed (cause they were obviously not present for the rupture) that my membrane had ruptured. I was put in a room (reminiscent of the Taj Mahal), and giving an IV (successful on the 6th attempt). All I could think about was the 36 hour labor with Maci...and the 6 month recovery that followed. Fear choked me, and I allowed them to start Pitocin. The Pitocin dripped away at the lowest dose possible for 3 hours and, ohsofun were my contractions then. Just when I didn't think I could take it anymore and requested an epidural, my mom and Heather and Hartz arrived. We visited for a few minutes, with frequent breaks so I could moan and focus through contractions, and then my epidural angel arrived. Once it was in, Mika's heart rate was dropping because the Pitocin was causing my contractions to come less than a minute apart and she wasn't having time to recover in between. They stopped the Pitocin, and I learned that epidurals take about 30 minutes to kick in. Those 30 minutes were the hard part. Mika's heart rate returned to a normal level and my doctor arrived to check me. I was 3 cm. Grr. I had now been in labor for about 12 hours. I was really starting to feel helpless, like I was going to have a repeat of last time and be in labor for 3 days. Heather told me to relax, and once the epidural kicked in, it might make me rest enough for my body to do it's thing. I rolled my eyes. Yeah, right.
I thoroughly enjoyed half an hour of rest, and then Dr. Dukes checked me again. It had only been 51 mintues since he checked me last and reported the 3 cm shenanigans. He said, "you're about zero" and I almost cried. I had no idea that a cervix could close, but wouldn't ya know it, mine did!! He looked at me like I was a big idiot and said, "no, I said you're station zero. You're fully dilated." I grabbed his arm (a little too tight) and asked him to repeat that....oh, joy!! I had gone from 3-10 in less than an hour and even had a 30 minute nap. I was ready to push.
The doctor was ready to deliver the nice lady next door who was 10cm and crowning. He left.
An hour later, my nurse was frantically calling for help and telling me not to laugh (she was serious) because that baby was almost out. She had checked me, said I was ready, called out to the desk for an assistant and for them to let Dr. Dukes know he needed to come quickly, and asked me to give a practice push. I was numb from the waist down and gave it my best effort. Apparently, it was a good effort. She said that there was a band of scar tissue present, and with the second push, it ripped. The baby almost came out with that push, and I laughed. She freaked (very calmly, I was super proud of her). Madness ensued. 1 minute later, Dr. Dukes ran in, threw on his gown, and caught Mika as she slipped out. She was blue and tiny and perfect. I held her, DJ's eyes got all misty, and my mom snapped pictures. It was beautiful.
Every birth is perfect, which is what I realized on December 23rd at 2:23. It doesn't matter where you are, at a fancy birthing center with candles lit and music playing, or in a hospital hooked up to a blood pressure cuff and contraction printer - this lesson cost me a lot of worry and sadness and anxiety as we made the decision to deliver in the hospital about 9 months before. But in that moment, God's beautiful plan was just as evident and His presence was just as felt. I was able to relax and enjoy Mika's arrival (heck, I was laughing wasn't I?), I loved the nurses who helped deliver her, and Dr. Dukes actually turned out to be a very nice man...and a good sew'er (only had a stage 2 this time, PTL!!).
God has blessed me. Again. And, again, I am reminded of His awe and majesty. I am a very thankful mama. And Mika's delivery was perfect.



6 comments:
That's the practice that delivered my Iveigh! I love Dr. Dukes, too... he's got a great bedside manner. Dr. Lincort is actually the one who delivered Iveigh, though =0)
I love this. I love the truth that God is all types of birth experiences and that the blessing of a healthy baby is what is most important. Helps me when I think about next time ;) LOVE YOU.
Beautiful story--love that you shared it!! Mika is a blessing!
We used same practice too (with Corban) and Dr. Lincourt delivered
Thank you for letting us in on your beautiful birth story! I'm SO glad you had a good experience. And you're so right--the "right" birth comes in all different forms.
I love Dr. Dukes, too. And...that was my building you were in! I was the fundraiser for that project. I love when friends can enjoy. :) Can't wait to meet your sweet Mika. We'll have to get together soon. xoxo...Kara, Jeff, Henri and Lili
yes the second birth is scary because we know what may happen and not so scary because we know what may happen!
She is so beautiful.
Post a Comment