Saturday, December 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, Maci! 4!!!!

Since I wrote zero blogs in November, DJ is out for the night, the kids are all in bed, and I have a cup of decaf to sip on I guess I have no excuses left. I should update. My future self will thank me.

Maci turned 4 today. She is so big and so cute and so hard and so fun - putting her description into words is impossible but there are a few things I'd like the world to know.

Maci loves to dance. If you come over, you'll have less than 2 minutes before she will be twirling around the living room for your enjoyment. Put her in a tutu/skirt/girly outfit?? You're asking for a full-on show. She has her first dance class (ballet/tumbling combo) Thursday afternoon.

Maci loves to eat. Most 4 year olds do but the significance here is that if fruit is in the house (and it always is), she is asking for it. Breads, pasta, meat - nope, gonna have to *fight her.

Maci is a huge energetic ball of excitement 90% of the day but still manages to shock me with her sweetness. The other day she was running and squirming and singing (louder than I can shout) and she passed by me the exact second I bopped myself on the head with something. She immediately stopped (thinking she had, of course, inflicted my pain) and gently put her hands on my face, apologizing so sincerely I felt like crying, asking me if I was okay. It's a funny thing God does with kids...throws in these random moments of adorableness (often at times when I'm going to absolutely lose it). I wish I could just bottle those minutes up - put them on the shelf to look at later when she's grown and far away. Anyone ever think God does that? Have you read the Footprints poem when God flashes scenes from the guys life across the sky and the guy asks why, in the hard times, was there only one set of footprints? God says, "My precious, precious child. I would never leave you. That was when I carried you." It's a tearjerker. Point is, where do the sky videos come from? I'm sure God's got a huge hard drive in Heaven filled with sweet (and some not-so-sweet, just for laughs) memories. I'm right, right?

Moving on....

Maci is artistic - loves to color and paint and make up songs, and I think she's really good.

I know she could read if I spent just a little time teaching her (for some reason the thought of teaching someone to read overwhelms me) (also, it will be a sad day when DJ and I can't spell in front of her).

Maci and Eli are fighting like cats and dogs lately, I never know what rest time will bring. Some days its hours of laughter and make believe, others not even 1 minute goes by before someone is coming out of the room crying and stomping. Eli is my easy child, always has been. Not because he is really so perfect, but because I know what works with him. I have very little work to do when he needs to be corrected. Maci, on the other hand, is committed. She is dramatic and stubborn, and when committed to something, can argue like the captain of a debate team...all while being a) hilarious or b) heartbreaking. This girl is seriously something, I'm desperately searching for some parenting wisdom because I don't think I've got much longer before she'll overthrow me. She does love her brother and sister, though! I've said it before, but one of my greatest gifts is seeing Eli, Maci, and Mika develop relationships with one another - I love watching them when they think I'm not and I'm really looking forward (and praying hard!) to the lifelong friends they'll be.

*unless it contains chocolate or is covered in syrup












Maci, once you get grown, I think we're going to be really, really good friends. I can't believe God used me to create you - you're more than amazing and I'm so thankful I get to be your mom. Loving you has shown me more about God's love, and I wouldn't change a thing about my sweet, sassy, spunky, scary smart FOUR year old Maci-in-the-middle.

Thanks for making me a mommy.

No comments: