Monday, February 4, 2013

Succotash

I'm not even exactly sure what succotash is, but when I was growing up (and still today) it's whatever is  turning slightly brown in the refrigerator sautéed together and served over rice. Sometimes it was amazing, sometimes it was barely edible - just start chopping and see what happens. That probably doesn't have much to do with this post, but I don't really have a specific topic to write about so let's just see what happens.

Kid Update - sure, why not?
Mika: 2 years, 1 month old
Sassy, silly, hilarious, sweet, and SO! VERY! HARD! when she's having a "day." There are more "days" than there aren't right now, but I'm thrilled to report I'm living in the truth that this is a stage and we'll survive it. And it helps that when she puts her little chubby fists on her hips (or attempts to cross her still-to-short arms in my face) and stares me down while saying "NO"- she's just so cute I love her for doing it. The screaming and flailing tantrums are definitely less cute but they're spacing out quite nicely, and she's a little more open to redirection (redirection: "Would you like to get a spanking?"). Also, she still frequently takes herself to her room for the tantrums, and closes the door when asked "so mommy and daddy don't have to hear it." I can put up with a lot more if I can't see and hear it.

Mika loves her brother and sister most of the time and is now old enough to play imagination games with them. Pretend babies and puppy dogs abound in my house! She loves to sing and dance (what 2 year old doesn't, really?) and is, I'm ashamed to admit it, addicted to movies. Leap Frog is the favorite.

She's eating like a grown man! I can't believe how much this girl can consume in one day. Her tastes change on a daily basis, and just because she ate 3 servings of peas at dinner last night does not mean she likes them today.

Mika can recite the last part of "Make every effort to do what leads to peace" (Romans 14:19) when prompted. Makes me so proud. The application and follow-through is just around the corner...

She jumps! Off the ground.
Sleeps with Boz and a bumper as a pillow. Asks for one more sip of water and to turn her sound machine on every single night.
LOVES books and puzzles.

Mika is pure joy in my life and a frequent reminder of my need to learn patience. I'm beyond thankful I get to be her mommy.

Maci: 4 years, 2 months
I no longer have one word descriptions for this girl. She is still so very fun and funny and spunky, but she's growing up more and more every day - turning into this KID that will one day be a teenager. I'm getting glimpses of what life with teenage Maci will be like 10 years from now and it's freaky. A few nights ago we were out at Chili's celebrating Eli's birthday and this little boy sat down with his parents in the booth next to us. The boy was maybe 7ish and he and Maci were facing each other. Immediately, he smiles and waves "hi" to her - friendly, innocent little guy, right? So Maci's reaction was to bat her eyelashes and brush the hair from her shoulders and shyly smile "hello" back. Slow, finger-wave included. I couldn't stop giggling long enough to redirect her - not sure if it was entirely from her crazy 4 year old flirting shenanigans or from her daddy turning red and mouthing "MAKE THIS STOP!!" to me from across the table. Anyway, it was HILARIOUS and kinda unsettling. Later, when we were home and completely removed from all things boy or flirty I asked her about the incident. She told me "that boy made me exhausted like a princess." So...I racked my brain for all those tired princess movies out there and YEP! Princess Belle, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty - they ALL do the shy smile, eye batting craziness when the prince shows up. And my child thinks they are just TIRED. Hahahaha. Okay, we're okay. Whew.

Maci loves her brother and sister - every night when she kisses Mika goodnight she tells her, "goodnight sweetheart, I love you. Tomorrow I'll read you more books, okay?" Thinks she's a little mommy. Love it. She wants to be lots of things when she grows up and says she won't have to choose for a long time...dentist is leading the list right now, wolf doctor is #2 (no idea). I frequently hear her and Eli talking about his birth family in Ethiopia, the color of his skin being different than hers (and all Native Americans), why they can't be married, and how they promise never to keep secrets from each other. Melts me. I'm so very happy these 2 have each other to live life with. I've had lots of adoption  conversations with Eli, some really great ones where he asks big questions and obviously thinks about stuff - but nothing as natural and unreserved as the talks he has with Maci.

Eli: 5 years, 3 days
Oh man, this one's easy. Eli is sweet (!!!) and silly(!) and sensitive (why do all of those adjectives start with S??). He continues to be such a great brother to his sisters and a huge help to DJ and I. I joke sometimes that I'm just gonna run away with him because he's the easy kid. He is on the cusp of brushing his own teeth, people! All by himself! We're still having lessons because those back teeth are hard to remember, but I see the light. I have no clue why this makes me so happy, but it just does.

Eli loves dinosaurs and reptiles (in books/movies only), puzzles, carbs, and playing pretend. He wants to be a "boy doctor" when he grows up because most of the doctors he knows are ladies. He LOVES going to school but learning isn't so much his thing. He prefers to be tricked into learning something than straight up having to practice or try it - especially if someone is watching. I do love watching him "get" something, though. A few months ago he was learning to write his full first name - Elias instead of Eli - and the "s" was tricky. We practiced for a few minutes each night for 2 nights. Both times he was straight-faced and quiet, I could tell that he was ready to bolt and so frustrated over not being able to do it...and with me for making him try for 5 whole minutes (forever). I caught him several times during this couple days practicing his "Ss" and then it clicked. He came running and grinning over to me (he did not know that I had seen him practice many times) to show me over and over that he could, in fact, write an s. He was so proud. So cute.

These kids make my life such a reward from God and my opportunity to serve Him.

Health Update:
This year started off with me feeling very tired all the time, and since I've poisoned my body with gluten for most of my life, I'm familiar with how it feels to be constantly exhausted. Sure enough, my iron was very low...even though I've been taking iron supplements for 18 months. I started upping my spinach intake and changed my iron supplement. Already I'm feeling more energy. This is blog worthy because it is life changing to have energy. My life is changed. ;-)













Foster Update: September DJ and I started the classes to become foster parents. We felt like God was moving us in this direction but were not really sure. We went into the classes thinking we'll just check this out and see if it's right for our family...after much thought and prayer and fighting with God about what is and isn't important, we have decided to move forward. We have completed all the classes and paperwork and home visits required for a foster care license and are just waiting on our agency and the state to do the rest. This time next month we should have license in hand. We would appreciate your prayers for our family and the birth family/families we'll be serving. Please pray that we will be diligent and obedient as He leads us.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this post!! (I feel like I'm always saying that). Your love for God, D.J., and your kids always shines through. Even when you're just talking about funny things your kids do, you put the glory back on God. Such a light. Such an encouragement and model to me. Thank you!! Keep writing and posting photos. I love it!