Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Maci Update

Maci is four and a half. She loves ballet (has taken 1 half-hour lesson in her whole life), dresses, high heels, and braided hair. She twirls and sings and loves to put lots of hair bows in her hair. I really struggle with this sometimes because no matter how many dozens of times DJ and I tell her that she is beautiful because God made her and because of the person she is on the inside, she continues to bat her eyelashes and ask "does this dress make me look like a princess?"It's a battlefield with billboards and bikini bathing suits already and I'm nauseous just thinking about what my precious daughter might think about her body in 10 years. BUT GOD promises me that prayer is powerful and that pouring scripture into her heart will not return void. He is God and I won't give up.
Maci continues to love bugs, lizards, frogs, and any other animal she comes in contact with. I've been really wanting to get a dog lately, and Maci is a big reason for that. She is brave and has requested rats, snakes, and head-sized toads as pets but I'm not even tempted there.
Fruit of any kind is Maci's favorite food and our recent Costco membership is encouraging her addiction. As for most of her life, she eats a gluten free diet and is a champ about it - even asks her Sunday School teachers (or anyone else) if her snack is gluten free. I sometimes wonder if it's necessary but whenever I think about introducing wheat she gets some random rash or complains of her tummy hurting. I am always concerned that there is an underlying issue that I'm clueless about, and recently, I've been learning more about Nutrition Response Testing. I just want everyone to be healthy, as healthy as they can be (and I have a lot of expectations here because God designed these bodies). If only nutritious food was inexpensive and easy to find - GRRRR!!!

Blueberry attack.
I continue to be blown away by Maci's imagination. She is really smart and can talk her way through (and out of) just about anything. She loves to build lego towers with Eli and read dozens of books at a time. Pink is her favorite color and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is her favorite show. She LOVES babies and playing "mommy." Most people are surprised that she's four because she looks and acts older (sometimes 12), and even DJ and I have a hard time remembering until she screams in frustration because she can't fold a king sized blanket perfectly or because she isn't able to swim down to the bottom of the deep end to retrieve a dive stick.
I am constantly challenged and surprised by this girl and I'm so incredibly blessed that I get to be her mommy.


No comments: