Recently, Eli has taken our family into new territory - out of Babyville, past Toddler Town, and directly into Kid Central. I don't know how to explain it well but he's blossoming into this little boy full of independence and thoughtful questions and starting to show interest and understanding about how other people think and feel. It's exciting and a little scary. Sure, Maci has been asking crazy preteen questions ("how do babies get out of their mommy's tummies?") for awhile, but her questions are from pure curiosity. You can tell Eli actually thinks about what he's going to ask, how he thinks the question will be received, and how/when best to ask it. He's also THE BEST encourager of anyone I know...which is part of why he's such an awesome brother. His smile remains one of the most magical things in my life and his late-evening giggles are 100% contagious. In other news, Eli can now shower almost by himself, get himself completely dressed for the day (or for bed), do his chores without being reminded, and put on a babysitter-hat that rivals most 15 year olds. This week, he's going to vacation bible school with a friend from his preschool class and I thought for sure he was going to have a hard time being dropped off in a place he's never been, WITHOUT MACI, full of many, many older noisy kids. He'd even told DJ Sunday night that he didn't want to go...but Monday morning, he didn't complain one time and waved to us, smiling and excited, as we walked out of the church. Whoa.
Maci is also changing and maturing. Today, she reminded me about a spanking I'd told her she was going to get when we got home. She and I are getting a little one-on-one time this week as Eli's at VBS and Mika's occasionally taking a morning nap while continuing to get over being sick. Her favorite thing to do is anything that involves cuddling. Such a snuggle monkey!!! When we read together on our tummies, side by side, she has to have a shoulder pressed into mine or a foot on top of me. It is one of my favorite things in life, that my girl wants to be close to me. She LOVES to dance and wear dresses, pray for silly things ("and thank you, God, so much for all the compliments you given me today and for the curvy, wiggly worm we saw in the driveway"), dance with an almost-angry-looking "rock star" face, play house with Eli, and see her friends. Maci is always up for anything and easily entertained - recently she learned to boogie-board and count to ten in spanish (which, apparently, now means she's fluent). She is, in my humble opinion, the perfect combination of princess girly and ruff-and-tumble tomboy (the dress-wearing is definitely interesting). The other night, she got out of bed and came into our room asking "for a mommy and daddy plus Maci date", then proceeded to climb in-between us, snuggle close to DJ, and say, "what should we talk about?"
Mika is officially a year and a half old. She is definitely no baby and don't you dare try to treat her like one because she's not having it. She is as independent as any 18 month old kid ever was, but decided early on she's no fan of spanks so she will walk her little self into her bedroom, close the door, and won't come out again until she has a happy heart. I'm not kidding, I've got witnesses (3 to be exact). She will, however, tell you "no" in a very firm voice because "no" is her favorite word. Did I mention that she's 18 months old? She is super silly and wants to do/say/act exactly like Eli and Maci. She has now accidentally gone pee-pee on the potty (because I sit her up there every night before baths) three times, and TOLD US "poo-poo" twice, to witch we respond by sitting her on the potty, to which SHE responded by tooting (TMI??)!!! I'm pretty sure she actually started to go number two yesterday, but got very freaked out by the whole thing and ended up being held and cuddled. We continue to struggle with high fevers every few weeks and go back to the doctor tomorrow. Having a wet noodle for a daughter with a 105.7 fever is scary and I'm just plain over it. Mika has all of her baby teeth, can jump an inch or two off the ground (most of the time), repeat almost anything, and loves, loves, loves to give hugs - especially if you are named Evan or Charlie Belle.
It's crazy to me how unprepared I was for this little girl because I remember spending SO MUCH time thinking about Eli and Maci when we were expecting them - what would they look like or act like, what would their favorite food be, would they like to dance or sing, bla, bla, bla. I couldn't wait to meet them and hold them and live life with them, but Mika...Mika was WANTED and loved and thought about, but not to the extent Eli and Maci were. I was so busy with those two that I didn't have time to day dream and think about her as often. I think about that sometimes and I'm so thankful that God had time. He created her perfectly, shaped her personality, molded her mind and interests (heck, He planned her future!) to become this amazing little girl that I get to watch grow and change into this toddler that I love so much. Babies are miracles. Lifelong miracles.
No comments:
Post a Comment