Monday, August 20, 2007

Too excited to sleep

Well, it's almost midnight and I can't sleep. I am just relishing in the wonder of God and how perfect His plan is...

TYLER
Today was his first day of high school. He woke up bright and early with his lunch made, bag packed, and clothes laid out (he decided to wear a bright orange T-shirt that says, "WARNING: I'M NOT LISTENING." Yes, I bought it for him...what was I thinking?!?). Anyway, he was pretty darn cute pacing around the kitchen at 6:40 just watching the clock, ready for 6:50 to arrive so he could speed away on his bike....he played with the dog, I minute went by...he drank some OJ, another minute...brushed his teeth (as prompted by me, apparently he forgets), another couple of minutes...checked, then rechecked his backpack, another minute ticked away...until finally, FINALLY it was time to kiss us goodbye and open the garage to enter the world of High School. Freedom.

He came home sweaty (football practice was rough today - that's a good thing in Tyler language) and smiling. He got 5 hugs from senior girls that thought he was cute, had glitter sprinkled over his head, shared a pizza with a kid on his team, and walked in late to EVERY single class - "Lake Howell is HUGE." That's about all I got out of him (he's a one-word-response kind of guy), but all in all, I think day one was a success. His lunch is packed and bag ready for day two...

Thanks to all of you who are praying for him, for us, and for our adjustments. They are really helping!! Tyler prayed for the first time tonight :-) We pray every night before bed, but until now, he's never participated beyond a brief "amen" and hand squeeze...I guess I can't give you a false picture...he wasn't standing on the coffee table crying out thanks to God or anything, he needed a little push to get started, and he was brief and to the point...but it was good to hear, and very sincere. He took the step, and I praise God that I was there to witness it. What a blessing to my soul, and he doesn't even have a clue I am blessed. I am blessed.

ADOPTION:
My focus recently has been on Tyler...much needed, of course, and quite expected...but really distracting from the two children thousands of miles away that I am a little obsessed with. I have started to feel a little scared, very stressed, and almost unsure about adding two additions to the family so soon. How will we support all of them financially (I won't be working, people! Ahh!), will we be able to be sensitive to every one's needs, how will the children bond to Tyler, how will he bond to them, will our house be big enough for 5 people and 3 animals (I could go on)? Are you noticing a little ache in between your shoulder blades?

Well, take a deep breath. God is in control and I'm gonna let Him be (attention: I may need reminding of that in the morning and probably daily for the next hundred years or so). Tonight, DJ and I had dinner at the Parker's. Most of you don't know John and Brandy Parker, but they are a wonderful couple in leadership at our church, and even more importantly, have adopted two children (a beautiful brother and sister) from Ethiopia - they are again journeying down the adoption road and are waiting on their second referral for Ethiopian siblings. Also there, were Joe and Leah Warren (another couple from church) with their son (who went to sleep exceptionally well in a strange place)..they are waiting on a referral for their second child. We ate WONDERFUL Ethiopian food (with our hands, of course)(THANKS, BRANDY!), shared stories, picked John and Brandy's brain (I had a list of questions prepared), talked about books we've read/should read, discussed travel plans, sipped yummy coffee, noted helpful websites, looked through "life books" (more on that to come later), prayed together, and relished in our growing community of Ethiopian adoptees. We share a bond, and sitting around that table I didn't feel the uncomfortable tension I often do when discussing adoption. I didn't have to worry about answering trying "Why" and "How" questions, no one challenged my intentions or reasons. I wasn't a freak or a crazy woman. No one even mentioned the name Angelina Jolie or the possibility that my children will come home with AIDS. I left feeling rejuvenated and excited about our expanding home. I left feeling like a mom. Just a mom. Waiting to hold and love her babies. Rarely do I get to feel that, so thanks John and Brandy, and Joe and Leah. I am blessed.

One more thing...
I got my very first baby gift tonight!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!! Joe and Leah (probably mostly Leah, but Joe did hand me the bag) made T-shirts that have the continent of Africa with the word "Expecting" written across it. I tried it on when I got home and I didn't want to take it off...I thought about making a Walgreen's run just to wear it in public, but decided no one would be awake enough to even read it, and darn it - I just went shopping today, and couldn't think of a thing we needed. Thank you, Joe and Leah!

I am blessed.

6 comments:

Amy Millward said...

Lindsey, that is all so very cool! I can't wait to see your "expectant mother" t-shirt. :-) I'm so glad things are going well with Tyler. He's super cute, and he seems like a really sweet kid. I'm also so excited about your little children--can't wait to meet them...

in a nutshell said...

Lindsey - that shirt is the cutest thing I have ever heard. We have some friends that are adopting, and I will have to make them some! We miss you guys so much and are praying for you!
l, v

Brandi said...

oooh, I want a picture of the shirt! Where did they get it? I'd love one! I just had "Paper Pregnant" shirts made. . .aren't we weird?!

I'm so happy to hear Tyler is doing so well. Not that there won't be challenges, but it's wonderful for him to have such stability and godliness to live in while he is growing into a man.

So, are you at the "waiting for referral stage" now? It's a hard one! But, at least you are in good company.

We would LOVE to get together with you guys sometime. . .and Brandy and John and anyone else. I really think we need a transracial adoption group at least once a quarter (although you'll have it every Sunday!)

Brandi

Anonymous said...

Thats Awesome Lindsey! I am so glad Tyler enjoyed his first day too! Love the shirt idea, it's so nice to have friend in the process with you and not to have the negativity!

Unknown said...

Yes, Leah did pour a lot of work into it, but I did draw the outline of Africa. I gotta take more credit than handing you the bag ;) I'm glad you like it! We'll get the file to you so you can make more, or change it and make more. Let us know.

Leah said...

you rock :)
we should go into business making t-shirts together :)