THE DETAILS:
Around St. Patty's Day (March 17), Lindsey said, "DJ, I think I might be pregnant." Since this is not the first time this quote has appeared in our conversation (and turned out to be a falsehood), I did what any loving and understanding husband would do...Laughed and quickly dismissed the comment with an affectionate "No way! No really I'm pretty sure you're absolutely not!" This immediately convinced her of the obvious (that I'm always right).
Days passed and she didn't really mention it, but then came Thursday (3/20). As we drifted off to sleep Thursday night, Lindsey leaned over and spoke the sweetest words a man will ever hear, "You were right!" She had taken a test without my knowledge and it was a big negative. This was actual calming to us both as we were afraid of how this would complicate our adoption plans. A few more days passed and it was Easter morning (3/23). Lindsey woke up before I did and took the standard "just in case" second test. I was immediately woken up to, "What the...What does this mean??????" I never was good in art and I've never had a harder time trying to figure out if a line is a LINE. So after much staring we decided it was obviously inconclusive and the "emergency backup" test would need to get purchased as soon as possible. We were in a hurry to get to church and meet some friends that were visiting Summit for Easter, so we prayed about the next test, scurried around to get ready and left for the most Holy of Sabbaths with huge knots in our stomachs. We decided the first order of business after church would be to pick up another test.
We darted out of church and I found myself intensely studying pregnancy boxes as people were passing by convinced I was legally blind for looking so closely at a box. We decided after the "line incident of 2008" we'd switch to the digital display which reads "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant". This was much more our style. We rushed home and Lindsey took the test and we waited and waited. She saw the results out of the corner of her eye first and screamed. We laughed, we cried, we jumped up and down. So the story went, on Easter, March 23, 2008 we first found out (as Lindsey so delicately put it last post) I got my wife "knocked up."
Since I'm a nerd and frequent the web and BSG chatrooms (if you know what BSG stands for then you are just as big of a nerd as I am), I thought I'd answer the usual questions with a FAQ section.
FAQ:
1. When is Lindsey due?
The midwife told us Thanksgiving Day (11/27).
2. Were you trying to get pregnant?
If this is really a question, after reading my initial response to Lindsey thinking she was pregnant than I'm a worse blogger than I thought. The answer is no.
3. Were you adopting because of fertility issues?
I know this seems personal but we also see how this question can be justified. Lindsey has addressed this in much earlier posts, but the simply answer is NO, never tried.
4. The obvious follow-on question is: Do you understand how the reproductive cycle works?
Maybe no one has actually asked, but I can tell by the faces. Apparently I need to brush off some 9th grade Health Class books. The truth is my book "DJ's Contraceptive Tips" will go on sale Monday and is sure to be on the WORST seller's list. For the real answer feel free to ask me in person, but I will severely embarrass my wife if I post it here.
5. How is Lindsey feeling?
She has had some sickness, but is overall doing great!
6. What does this mean for the adoption?
We were devastated to think about how this would affect the adoption, but were obligated to tell the agency immediately. Although we were disappointed to hear that this would severely delay the process, we were ECSTATIC to hear that we will still be on the waiting list and be moving toward the top while Lindsey is pregnant. The agency requires a year separation between siblings, so we will have to wait until this baby is 1 yr old for an official referral. There are exceptions for waiting children, so we constantly have our eyes peeled. We know God has called us to adopt from Ethiopia and are still adjusting to the reality that we will have to wait such a long time to lock eyes with these children. I still get overjoyed when I think about getting referral pictures or seeing them face to face for the first time.
8 comments:
DJ, this post is incredible!!!!!!!!! You are quite the talented writer (Mrs. Cole must have rubbed her magic off on you) and I, for one, can hardly wait for "DJ's Contraceptive Tips" to hit the best-seller list. I want an autographed edition.
I am so excited for you both!!!!
DJ & Linds,
I am so excited for the two of you. I know that this is different than what you had iniially planned but it seems that the Lord knew better. You guys are gonna be awesome parents!
Dear Lindsey and DJs blog,
Hi.
Sincerely,
Sean Blog
coldwaterfilms.net
DJ you are a great write; who knew? I'm so glad that you guys are so excited and that the excitement isn't overshadowed by the oops :) Now your family will be even more like ours! (bio, then adopted kiddos)
i meant writer :)
Wow, congrats you guys! That's so awesome...sometimes the best kind of blessing aren't planned (like my super awesome surprise...my first son!)
BTW...we're due in Dec!
WHOO HOO! I am so excited for the two of you! God has definitely got plans for you. DJ, you post was very eloquent. ahhh! YAY!
Wow! I'm a little behind everyone else. Sorry, but congratulations! This is exciting news!
Post a Comment