September 5, 2009
We left today. Well, actually we left yesterday afternoon from Orlando to NYC and then got on a plane last night that took us here, to Dubai. We are just about to go to bed and are exhausted. The JetBlue flight from Orlando to New York was unremarkable. There was a woman in the seat next to me who fell asleep several times and kept banging her head against the window. Not very exciting, but that’s all the news I can share. OH! Well, I guess I can tell you that DJ and I were on a crazy ‘we-get-to-meet-our-son” high that has not worn off completely, but is just not the same this moment as it was previously. I’m sure after a few hours sleep and the Ethiopian soil underfoot, we’ll be very far beyond where we were before.
The layover in NYC went by fairly quickly once we figured out which train to take to get us to the correct terminal. We ate dinner at a horrid little “pub” just outside our gate and then waited for our turn to take to the skies. Our waiter kept hiding behind a pillar to sit and drink beer with his buddies.
I have yet to master the art of pumping without a private room or cover, but it is not from lack of experience. I forgot to get the hooter hider out of Maci’s diaper bag, and thus, have had to improvise with a zipped up and seemingly tight sweater. I have been taking my Fenugreek pills and so far, so good – DJ calls them my Fern Gully pills.
We survived our 13 hour plane ride across the pond, but it was not what we were expecting. It was soo crowded!! We did not have seats next to each other, (they were in the same row, just not touching) but a nice young guy offered (ok, yes, I asked him) to move to the window so we could be cuddle and chat. He didn’t say hardly anything to me the entire ride, but he was still my temporary BFF. I took a Tylenol PM and slept like a baby for about 2 hours – I didn’t even get a drink when they came by (FREE drinks make me feel the need to NEVER pass one up). After that, my back and butt started hurting and DJ and I kept shifting and turning in our 2x2inch seats. There were many, many children on the plane, and surprisingly, they all did really well. I was very pleased about that. Also, we were the only white people in sight except for 1 or2 flight attendants – it was kinda nice to be the minority for a change. I felt special.
So, we are here. And we can’t stop thinking and talking about the fact that TOMORROW we get to see and hold Temesgen !!!! We keep doing “emotional check-ins” which is really DJ’s way of asking me if I’m going to cry any time soon. AHH!! It’s a good thing that I’ve already taken my Tylenol PM tonight or else I may just fantasize about the events of the week until I can no longer think.I’m thinking about and praying for both my kids. I am so blessed. Good night.
*We really tried to find free WiFi or cheap phone service to let the fam know we’re here and to check on Maci but the motto in Dubai is “you pay for everything”! And everything aint cheep!
Teme likes to smile for the camera and then see the picture.
He's quite a ham.
We're excitedly waiting on our plane going to Dubai in NYC.

2 comments:
I feel so special to read this. I love hearing about it and it brings tears to my eyes.
I was telling my friend last night about Eli's face--I cannot get his bright smile and eyes out of my memory!
Hope that your sleep is catching up and that everyone is getting settled in.
Thank you for sharing some of your experience this way! As you know I'm so unbelievably happy for you guys and praying for you. :-)
Post a Comment