Friday, September 19, 2008

adoption news

Last Sunday, we ran into our social worker at church. A couple of months ago, we played phone tag like crazy, but ended up only talking via e-mail so it was nice to see her reassuring face that all is well with our plans to adopt as soon as we're able. In a few days, our fingerprints will expire. In adoption world, getting your fingerprints is one of those big steps that brings you yet closer to your children (I'm sure I blogged about it when it happened 'cause I KNOW we celebrated it). September 28th (my brother's birthday) is when we are legally no longer cleared to get our babies, BUT my social worker was VERY encouraging and reminded me that she's done this a time or two (thousand) and of all the documents we'll have to update or redo, this step should be fairly inexpensive and easy - especially since we've already done it once before. She said she was only concerned about not letting our I171-H expire and that I should get in touch with her at the end of the year to learn how to renew it - this is our immigration approval that says we're allowed to bring the babies home to Florida once we adopt them in Ethiopia. Some adoptions can take years, so the government allows one FREE renewal for each family (hallelujah) which will save us SEVERAL hundred dollars :-)

Just wanted you all to know that we're still just as excited about adoption as ever and although sitting on the sidelines is tough, we'll be soo ready to welcome home our kids once Maci Amira (Ethiopian for princess) is settled :)~

ps. we have another baby shower tomorrow!!!! will post pics when i can...

1 comment:

emily said...

I love your daughters name! All the stuff about adoption is really interesting. We are praying that EVERYTHING goes well for you and your growing family!