Tuesday, December 30, 2008

i've been a mom for 4 whole weeks

Surprises:
  • i'm still sore and can't stand up or walk for very long without needing to sit
  • how much maci changes every day
  • how many diapers we go through
  • how emotional i was the first two weeks - i cried all the time, sometimes when i wasn't even sad
  • how frequently maci chokes while eating - it looks like the most horrible thing in the world, but somehow, she falls asleep while eating and the milk goes down the wrong way. it looks like the worst event in the history of mankind, but surprisingly, she is alseep again less than 2 seconds after her life is safe
  • how seldom she spits up
  • how much she loves riding in the car
  • how much she loves music
  • red is one of the first colors babies see
  • being outside is rejuvinating for me and maci
  • the nursing mothers room at church is really nice
  • how much maci stuff i take with me when i go out of town

Rules I've Thrown Out Completely:
  • maci should have breast milk only or the world will end
  • no sleeping on her stomach or on the boppy (she is supervised while on the boppy)
  • no pacifier!

Rules I've Stuck With:
  • everyone has to wash their hands before touching/holding the baby
  • baths only every 3-4 days
  • it is okay to be licked by her sister, cali
  • dj and i need time away from her to enjoy eachother every week - even if it is just for an hour or two

Lessons:
  • giving maci one bottle of formula in the evening does NOT hurt her - and allows mommy to sleep for 5 consecutive hours
  • it is so nice to have family around to help - don't think i would be sane without them
  • target diapers stink and pampers are the best!!
  • i don't have to do everything by the book or like all the other great moms i know...my family is learning and adjusting every day, and so far, so good. i can't do everything perfect and enjoy my daughter - the latter is more important.
  • washable nursing pads are not so great. johnson and johnson disposables rule
  • amber eastwood is my advice giver/encourager that makes me feel better about all maci decisions i worry over
  • it is okay to let maci cry when i can't do anything for her - it usually makes her tired enough to fall asleep or let me comfort her
  • every week gets easier and every week, dj and i are enjoying her more and more

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love this post!!! I think it sounds like you are doing a GREAT job. And, I learned something...I didn't know that the first color babies see is red. Good for me...there's a lot of red around my house, it's my favorite!

Amy Millward said...

It's so cool to hear how you're doing in list form. :-) I'm so proud of you. I hope I'm as brave and smart a mother as you.

emily said...

We love you guys. thanks for blogging and allowing us to follow your life! Sounds like you guys are really getting the hang of things.

LucieP said...

Well it sounds like you are making great strides in parent life. Yay! Maci was designed especially for you by God. You may have your doubts about your parenting skills but your job is to teach Maci about Him which you are doing ... everything else will fall into place.

Brandi said...

I agree with everything in this post!!! Amen!

You are doing GREAT! She's beautiful and you are a great mama!

I can't wait to meet her sometime!

Brandi

Jess and Andrea said...

Sounds like you are an experienced mama! I am looking forward to meeting Maci. You guys are doing wonderful (coming from quite the professional myself :) ). Thanks for keeping up with my blog. I love keeping up with yours! She is adorable!