I first want to thank all of those who have offered up prayer, support, meals, visits and concerns. We are greatly blessed to have so many awesome people that are living life along side us. Some may have heard that Lindsey started labor on Saturday and have been on the edge of their seats for a Maci announcement. Well, wait no longer!!! Maci was determined to be a December baby and was born today (12/1/08) at 7am and weighed in at 8lbs and 8oz and 21.25 inches long.
Now for the story and maybe I'll give you a cute pic :) My wife Lindsey is without a doubt my living hero and the details of this story still amaze me as I sit back and ponder what this woman was capable of over the last 3 days!
It started on Friday when Lindsey noticed some new swelling and decided to check her blood pressure at a Kmart kiosk. Her normal blood pressure is very low, but it had started to rise toward the end of her pregnancy. That day it read a whopping 145/90. Over the next day we closely monitored it and used some herbal remedies recommended by our midwife. After no significant change, the midwife decided to meet us at the office on Saturday around 5pm. During this appointment, our midwife was open to breaking Lindsey's water in hopes of inducing labor since she was already well past her due date. And now the fun begins...
At the birthing center, you usually have 24 hours to deliver once you go into labor so now we were on the clock. Lindsey did everything asked - walking, squatting, mooing through contractions. Progress was slow and steady, but Lindsey went from 2cm dilated to completely dilated in 24 hours (al natural) without so much as an "ouch". She was so controlled and focused! Since she showed significant progression the midwife let Lindsey go beyond the 24 hours (yes, we are now at Sunday evening). Starting around 9pm on Sunday, she was finally ready to push. Lindsey continued to show how determined she was by pushing for over 5 hours and soon there was concern that Maci may never come due to her large head. She was 32 hours into labor without any heavy medication and continued to amaze the birthing center staff with her determination and will power.
After much deliberating, we decided Lindsey would at the point of diminishing return due to pure exhaustion. At 2am on Monday morning, we rode in an ambulance to Florida Hospital-South and after an epidural and some rest Lindsey pushed for another hour and a half. At this point Lindsey had been in labor for over 37 hours and there was concern about her water having been broken for so long. The doctor recommended we try some suction with Lindsey's pushing and 3 pushes later my world changed for ever. From that point on things were a blur of emotions, but the conclusion was a healthy mom and baby and a new form of respect for the most powerful woman I know.
So now you get some pictures. It was hard to pick which one to post, but more will come later. And for those who skipped down to the pics... a virus has just invaded your system (but you should seriously read how awesome Lindsey was).
My HERO
The new woman in my life!
11 comments:
Beautiful mother! Beautiful baby! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures and this fantastic story. My heart has been with your family these weeks, and I'm THRILLED to share in your joy.
She is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your birth story. I always love to hear them. Good job momma!!!!
Congratulation to you all!!
WOW! Maci is amazing. Lindsey you are just outstanding. Hope that you are recovering well. We are continuing to pray for you all.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Great job, Lindsey! I can't wait to meet Maci. Look forward to more pics.
So much joy through tears!
I am so happy for you three!!!!!
Congrats to Lindsey on such a great fight! You did everything you possibly could so who can we thank for Maci's head?! :)
Jake needed suction too~
I hope your healing goes well. Tucks pads and epifoam are great as well as warm baths!
Lindsey you are absolutely my hero as well- that is an amazing story and I cannot wait to meet Maci :) See you soon!!
Linds & DJ,
It is with pure joy as your friend that I say congrats on the birth of your daughter! Linds, you are amazing! You definitly deserve hero status for all that you went through. I can't wait to meet her!!!
-Lindsey E.
YEAH!!!! Welcome Maci, and good job momma :) Get some rest and enjoy every single minute with that precious girl.
Wow! What an incredible birthing story! Lindsey-you look amazing! Over 30 hrs of labor and you look incredible. Can't wait to see Maci!
Wow. Lindsey is MY hero too. I am over-the-top happy for you guys, and I'm so thankful that Maci is here and healthy!
Post a Comment